Kids’ Dental Emergencies
While kids’ dental emergencies are a rare occurrence for the average family, if you find yourself in need of urgent dental care, you want assurance that your child is in the best possible hands. A pediatric dentist is equipped and trained to deal with all sorts of pediatric dental emergency situations.
What is a Pediatric Dental Emergency?
Causes for visiting a pediatric dentist may include:
- Whether due to a sports injury or other accident, a broken jaw can cause great pain and anxiety.
- First, apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Then, get to the hospital immediately in order to be checked for a concussion or other head trauma.
Chipped, fractured, or broken tooth
- If your child has broken off part of a tooth, immediately rinse his or her mouth with water, and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Try to save the chipped piece if possible.
Severely biting the lip or tongue
- When a bite is severe enough to cause bleeding, it needs to be assessed by your pediatric dentist.
Something lodged in the teeth
- Often, you can remove the item yourself using dental floss. Using metal, plastic, or other sharp tools will only lead to a serious pediatric dental emergency.
- If dental floss doesn’t work, your child’s pediatric dentist has the proper tools to safely remove the object.
- Teeth that are extremely loose may need to be removed by your dentist to avoid swallowing.
- For toothaches, rinse your child’s mouth with warm water first. Then apply a cold compress. Pain relievers may be taken as needed until your appointment.
- If a tooth has been knocked out, rinse the tooth in warm water; do not use soap. Reinsert the tooth into its socket, but be careful to only touch the crown, which is the part that is normally visible above the gum line. Go to the hospital right away for the best chance of saving the tooth.
Kids’ dental emergencies should not cause panic or fear. Remember that your child will respond to your behavior and emotions. Stay calm, address the issue, and get to a pediatric dentist as soon as you can.
“The staff is so friendly and organized from the time you walk in to the time you walk out. They were so kind to my daughter. Dr. Litman is nothing short of amazing. My daughter and I could not be happier at Main Street!!”
“New patients and were here to stay! The office staff gave us a warm greeting. Everyone we had contact with introduced themselves and shook hands. Grace & Aury were just wonderful with our children who get nervous when it’s time to see the dentist. They explained what they were going to do before proceeding, so they were knew what to expect. Dr. Martinez was amazing! She was just as engaging with our children. She explained her findings & recommendations to us & patiently answered all our questions. Our kids left feeling proud that they didn’t cry & we left excited that we found a new home. Thank you all for your professionalism, patience & dedication to Pediatric dentistry! The Alexander-Rodriguez family”