At Your Kid’s Dentist
Pediatric dentistry, also called pedodontics, deals with the oral health of children, from infants through the teenage years. A pediatric dentist is qualified to address the specific concerns often encountered as a child’s mouth grows, changes, and develops.
Quite a number of differences are present in the teeth and gums of children versus those of adults. For example, children have what are called baby teeth, which begin to fall out between the ages of five and seven. Permanent, or secondary, teeth then replace these teeth. Parents of infants would agree that babies always seem to be cutting teeth, an often-painful experience for the parents as well as the child.
Despite these differences, children can experience tooth decay or periodontal diseases, such as gingivitis, just like adults. For this reason, visiting a kid’s dentist is a vital step to ensuring the health of your child’s teeth and gums.
Qualifications of a Pediatric Dentist
A good kid’s dentist knows that children are not just smaller versions of adults. Factors that would never faze an adult, such as a suction device or mist of water, may utterly terrify a child. In pediatric dentistry, the goal is to make your child as comfortable as possible in an environment that is both fun and inviting.
In addition to the standard four years of dental school, a pediatric dentist must also undergo two years of residency training targeting issues and concerns among infants, children, teens, and those with special needs.
- Pediatric Dentistry Treatments
- General oral health exams for infants and young children
- Counting teeth, assessing for risk factors, instructing on proper brushing methods, and establishing rapport to ease fear during dental visits
- Preventative care
- Routine cleanings and x-rays
- Counseling and suggestions
- Nutrition and habits, such as pacifier usage, thumb and finger sucking, or biting nails
- Correction for misalignments, crooked teeth, or improper bites
- Addressing tooth decay, cavities, and various periodontal issues
- Diagnosing oral conditions associated with other diseases and health issues
- Providing care for dental injuries as needed
“What an awesome experience!!! The office always worked with me around my busy schedule… Always professional and excellent customer service.., highly recommend ..”
“Main Street Children’s Detentistry has the most kid friendly, professional, clean staff and facility. We are always greeted promptly and with a smile and thanked with our business prior to leaving. Each work station where children are being treated has individual tvs for children’s enjoyment. The staff are always nice and care a lot about their patients. I’ve been going to Mainstreet dentistry for at least seven years and they are always providing great and outstanding care.”